Saturday, March 31, 2007

Week 7, Thing 16

Wiki's. I took a look at the St Joseph County Public Library (SJCPL), Princeton Public Library, and the ALA conference sites. I found the SJCPL site to be well organized and easy to follow. It also seemed like it wasn't a wiki. Could I have been at the wrong site. It looked like library staff had control of what was input. I browsed through the cookbooks page where they highlighted the basic cookbooks all kitchens should have, such as the Joy of Cooking. Then there were links to their catalog records for cookbooks on different health concerns, such as high cholesterol. Good use of the wiki application.

The Princeton wiki scared me as most wikis do. Since anyone can post and edit how do you control what people are writing about a book or anything? Does someone have to review all entries before they are posted to the public? As a library, whatever is posted will reflect on the library. I'm afraid of inaccurate information being posted or libelous information being posted.

The ALA conference site was lacking. A number of things I clicked on really didn't get me to anything. This would have been a great place to post minutes of meetings and summaries of programs in an organized fashion. At least the places I went to did not seem organized. Just a bunch of people blogging instead.

No comments: