Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Authority Services

Do library administrators understand the concept of authority control??  Hey, I'm in cataloging and I still have issues in understanding all that is involved with authority control and the services that we have outsourced in this area.  I do know that we need it.  It's not a maybe, it's a necessity.  We unfortunately have a library administrator who doesn't truly understand the need for authority control and doesn't appear to have any interest in learning.  There's a mental wall blocking out any sense of rationale on the subject (one of among many subjects).

Should we care??  I keep telling myself don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff, but we are being led in a direction that makes no sense at all.  Do we do authority control ourselves, as we did in the past or do we just forgo this activity?  Lacking the staff we may just have to do sporadic checking and move on.  We have enough issues with the catalog without adding this to the pile.  Don't sweat it.  Keep telling myself don't sweat it.

No comments: